Systematic Preparation for Science Olympiad & Talent search examinations.
It’s easily possible for kids to memorize mathematics facts and manipulate numbers without having any deep knowledge of the concepts or processes involved. Memorization of rules and mastery of computation are not the same as true knowledge of mathematical concepts and ideas. The result of these practices is lower achievement in mathematics
If children are introduced to abstract concepts before they have a solid basis for understanding those concepts, they tend to resort to memorization and rote learning, which is not a solid foundation for further learning. Here we focus on first developing student’s understanding of concepts through:
- Real world examples and concrete objects (manipulatives)
- Pictorial representations
- Discussion of ideas and methods
By doing this not only do they become more competent in their computational skills, but they also develop confidence in their ability to solve problems of increasing complexity. Kids with strong conceptual understanding learn how to think and reason, and, yes, sometimes even come to enjoy math
Once the child masters the concept, It becomes easier to crack the competitive exams. We strongly believe that the child needs not only mathematical ability but logical reasoning also. Keeping in mind the child’s future need, we have designed a curriculum which includes both School curriculum and the critical thinking.
Science is not a subject that needs to be taught to the little ones. Science is a part of our daily life. We mentor the kids on how physical science gives the students the opportunity to grow their understanding of everyday objects and how they work in our daily lives. In the Earth and Space Science lessons, students will receive the foundation to develop an understanding of the Earth. Life Science activities will expand on what the students’ learn about plants and animals by focusing on the characteristics of living things and the diversity of life through activity sheets and hands-on experiment. We’ll also prepare the kid for the Olympiad exam which aims at cultivating scientific reasoning and logical ability among the kids.
Duration: 3hrs / week (Math)
2hrs / week (Science)
A comprehensive curriculum of Science & Math is taught to the children.
Based on our experience we have learnt that Grade 6-7 is the most crucial phase for a child, this is the period when the child is out of primary school and enters their secondary school. Often, we have noticed that schools up level the teaching during this phase – they give more homework’s to the child, give them more projects, the concepts are taught in more depth, teaching is more theoretical – this can become overwhelming to the children who have been having fun in their earlier years in school. We believe scientific learning that takes place in classrooms alone is not true learning. Hands-on learning in early childhood fosters scientific learning.
The other aspect we have experienced is that Parents often put the kids for Math’s coaching and ignore Science. The focus on Math’s is higher than science; even in schools we have noticed this as a pattern. The result of this is that as the child goes to higher grades and enters Grade 9/10, the focus on Science increases. This puts tremendous pressure on the child as they are exposed to 3 sciences in depth – Physics, Chemistry & Biology. Of the 3 sciences, often kids are stressed learning Physics & Chemistry. Common topics which they find tough are Sound, Waves, Light, Heat, Electricity, Speed-Time-Distance, Forces, Energy, Chemical Reactions, and Magnetism etc. As you notice, these are things that the child has been practically seeing/ using from their childhood – they understand How Sound originates / travels, they have played with Light’s, they have experienced Heat, they know the importance of Electricity, in every game they have used Speed-distance-Time to judge the next steps, they know what Forces are, they understand the importance of Energy, they have played with Magnets , but when it comes to understanding it in scientific way they struggle. This struggle later becomes painful and as the child reaches Grade 9/10 it’s overwhelming, the scores start dipping and parents start looking for help!
Keeping this in mind, we have designed a comprehensive course for the children of Grade 5-7. This comprehensive course covers School Curriculum for Math’s & Hands-on-Lab for Science.
- In Math’s, we prepare your child for their school curriculum (IB, IGCSE, ICSE, CBSE) + prepare them for Math’s Olympiad (IMO). The reason we prepare your child for Math’s Olympiad is because it gives your child an exposure towards logical reasoning, open up their mind to solve tricky problems using unique concepts which we enable them solving puzzles, an effective workout to their Brains! We make Math’s fun and remove the fear of numbers in the kids by building their confidence. After every concept, we encourage the child to build a concept map on what their learning has been; we build a culture where the child self-reflects on where they stand, we create a safe environment for the child to learn with no pressure. Above all it teaches how to manage time.
- In Science, we use a completely different approach. From Grade 5-7, Schools go slow on Science. But the intensity increases from 8th and is at the peak when the children reach their 10th! We want to prepare our children to be confident by the time they reach Grade 8. We train our children for National Science Olympiad (NSO), in which every concept, child is taken thru’ hands on experiment. This builds confidence and removes the fear. Apart from this, we encourage the child to attend 52 Experiments in 52 Weekends; this helps the child learn 52 new concepts in a year! Over and above this, we make our children do 3 Science Projects using Design Thinking concepts!!
Duration: 3hrs / week (Math)
3hrs / week (Science) on Saturdays between 2pm – 5pm
Enrolment Criteria: Every Student must take up a free assessment test before enrolments. The Child should have cleared IQ test with minimum required Marks. Based on the assessment, the focus contents and the lesson plan are given to the individual students.